Mark Clifford

2018: A Summer of Heatwaves

With temperature reaching 25-28C widely recently can we really call next week a heatwave and if so why wasn't it classed a heatwave a week or two ago? 

Let's discuss this heatwave and share weather models below i'll get us started. Here's the temperature at 2am on 25th and 29th ?

108-582UK.gif204-582UK.gif

28 minutes ago, dlukefinch said:

I feel like the HP that brings us this warm/hot weather needs a name. @Mark Clifford

I like your style Dan. 

Impressive temperatures. With these maps it's always advisable to add a new degrees. High 20s and Low 30s in most places. Very hot.

temp_uk.png

Now we're into July let's take a look at the highest temperature records that we need to beat. 

Met Office says 36.7°C - 1st July 2015 at Heathrow (London)

Could we beat these records? ?

C'mon @Mark Clifford let's be a little more sensible ? 

On 17/07/2018 at 14:09, Mark Clifford said:

Continuing the heatwave discussion... hotting up again this week? WHEN WILL IT END.. ?

Thunderstorms probable today and finally RAIN though some places may still completely miss out--I feel your pain already! 

Possibly the hottest day of this heatwave too with 36°C being forecast. ?️

temp_uk.png

• Haha 1

Well, I personally think that temperatures of 30°C or above is a no-go now. Thoughts?

On 12/08/2018 at 21:57, dlukefinch said:

Well, I personally think that temperatures of 30°C or above is a no-go now. Thoughts?

Can happen any time it likes, just need to get a plume type setup. 34c has been recorded as late as September 13th (2016). September 1906 recorded 35.6c.

• Like 1

Hi @Sryan Bruen, sure it could happen but I'm not convinced it will as the outlook is changeable.

Personally I don't mind what the weather is doing from 1st Sept as I'm off on holiday 😎

• Like 1

On 02/07/2018 at 10:35, dlukefinch said:

Now we're into July let's take a look at the highest temperature records that we need to beat. 

Met Office says 36.7°C - 1st July 2015 at Heathrow (London)

Could we beat these records? ?

I mean this with as little contention and greatest caution possible....

However, how can any temp recorded at Heathrow be treated with any seriousness??

If you wanted to find a hot place that is recent to our long standing temp record, this would be very high on the list......

On 12/08/2018 at 21:57, dlukefinch said:

Agree, the odds would be very low!!

Tho I also agree with Syran, almost anything can happen 10+ days out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I mean this with as little contention and greatest caution possible....

However, how can any temp recorded at Heathrow be treated with any seriousness??

If you wanted to find a hot place that is recent to our long standing temp record, this would be very high on the list......

I agree about Heathrow but the Met Office is always quoting it as the highest temperature and I'm always wondering why. 

It's a big ol concrete field for goodness sake. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Clifford said:

I agree about Heathrow but the Met Office is always quoting it as the highest temperature and I'm always wondering why. 

It's like the ice cream van which made the highest temperature incorrect. But I thought this would be even worse. 

53 minutes ago, Mark Clifford said:

With a multitude of heat sources!

Some figures for the UK for Summer 2018

Days reached 25c: 61 (including 34 consecutive days from June 24th to July 27th)

Days reached 30c: 25

Days reached 32.2c (90f): 8

First 25c: 1st June

First 30c: 25th June

First 32.2c (90f): 28th June

Data comes from the UK Met Office.