Our child project, Snow Watch (snowwatch.org.uk) is well overdue an upgrade in the advisory department and we are overhauling the way we issue them. First let me explain how we are going to deal with ice hazards. 

Visually, our snow SWAs don’t look all that different. The main big change, for now is the way we issue them. 

So, let's get down to the nitty-gritty. Each risk map will be for one 24 hour period. So if we issue a map for 24th November 2018 from 14:00 to 23:59 and a map is required for the 25th then a new map will be issued. There can be more than one time period in a 24 hour day. For example, 24th November 2018 from 14:00 to 23:59 AND 24th November 2018 from 10:00 to 16:00. 

Dotted lines, with the badges show what time fronts will move in and indicate when snowfall is likely. This will only be included when there's reasonable confidence. If advisories are already issued a separate map will be drawn up--examples of these will follow in the coming weeks. 

In most cases one of our forecasters will write a blog post but additionally a description for the advisory will be available on the Snow Watch Status page and will look something like this... the new uk snow advisory can also be seen below. Bear in mind that these maps are in beta mode and will most likely be updated, if this happens we'll post the updated version here for further feedback.  

IMG 1.png

24thNovember2018_V1.jpg

Let us know what you think, any requested changes will be considered. All feedback is very much appreciated. 

• Like 1

New snow advisory. There will also be an observational map which will be issued for informational purposes only and will be published after any decision making at Metcast/Snow Watch when an advisory is not considered suitable.

Dqcqs31XgAAoLqu.jpg